Family & Child Sciences
Why Family & Child Sciences?
We work with people in the real world.
We offer a program of study for both undergraduate and graduate students addressing the needs of children, youth, adults, and families across the life course with special attention to those in complicated families. We do more than just work with work people….We make a difference in people’s lives.
As an undergraduate student, in our program you do not just read about the world – you’ll go out and make a difference through our extensive professional development sequence (FAD4932, FAD4805), including experiences in:
- Family and community services
- Child and youth services
- Legislative advocacy
- Local, national, and international non-profit agency administration
- Counseling and case management
- Family law and family policy advocacy
- Early childhood prevention and intervention
- Family life and parenting education
Those interested in graduate study...
We offer a Master of Science in Family and Child Sciences and a Doctorate of Philosophy in Human Sciences (Family Relations specialization) and in Marriage and Family Therapy.
We actively look for the very best students with diverse experiences to join us. Students are given solid mentorship and financial support when possible. Our programs focus on child and family processes and empirically supported relationship interventions. Although our curriculum is comprehensive, our research, teaching, and service activities address three areas:
- Relationship development and enhancement in young adults, couples, and families
- Distressed families and relational interventions
- The link between parenting processes and relationship outcomes